We are looking for a software developer to our growing software team. Our responsibility is to develop our internal and commercial applications that are written in Python and Java, including mobile applications, REST API cloud interface, web applications and an analytics platform. The work includes mainly coding, but also managing projects and communicating with external resources. We appreciate proactive interest in cloud and mobile technologies and quick and proactive learning capabilities. We expect you to have some years of work experience, and we do assume coding to be in your blood.
What are we looking:
- Experience in coding in Java (Python experience is a big plus)
- Fast and growing high tech startup company with multiple opportunities to take a role in
- International and flexible work environment in a growing organization
- Experience in SW development processes e.g. project management, git, release procedures, testing and documentation
- Personal interest in coding and developing solutions
- Practical examples of applications or games that you have done for fun or for work
- Understanding of user interface design and graphics
- Independent working style
- B.Sc. or a higher degree
In our multicultural organization, you will also need good skills in written and spoken English.
The position is permanent and can start as soon as possible.
What we will offer: Unique product – company holds two patents and two patent applications
Want to hear more? For further information about the job, contact Ykä Marjanen, Co-founder and product manager, GrainSense Oy, by phone +358 40 590 4048. To apply, send an application to yka.marjanen(at)grainsense.com by 22.2.2018.
Research Scientist, NIR Spectroscopy
Are you interested in measurement instruments and developing new measurement applications? Do you have background in spectroscopy, especially near-infrared spectroscopy? We are looking for a full-time Research Scientist to join our company in Oulu, Finland.
GrainSense Ltd. recently released (Nov ’17) the first truly hand-held device to measure the quality of cereal grains and other agricultural crops. The measurement principle is well-established, viz., near-infrared (NIR) spectroscopy. The required technological improvements to reduce measurement time, energy consumption, and amount of sample, were achieved by a patented sampling optics and series of supporting hardware optimizations. Many practical problems associated with sample handling were also solved. The device brings major improvements to individual farmers and to food production and logistics in general.
Farmers can now measure, rapidly and in the field, the key parameters that are needed to make decisions. Our hand-held device measures the protein, moisture, oil, and carbohydrate content of cereal grains and other crops. GrainSense (www.grainsense.com) started operations in 2016 and has offices in Oulu and Helsinki, Finland.
The position is in our growing R&D Department, reporting to the CTO. Most of the work involves computations conducted in MATLAB. Your research will include developing new measurement applications for the GrainSense handheld device (and for other instruments in the longer future). Your work will also involve maintaining and improving existing applications, as well as supporting various improvement activities going on elsewhere in the company. Good data analysis skills and focus on detail are essential. Good documentation skills and willingness to learn new things should also be natural to you. You should also be self-motivated and willing to take responsibility. You will be part of a skilled team with world-class expertise. If you can provide the right basis, we will train you as much as needed to grow into the role.
The job includes:
- Analysing multivariate data (NIR spectra)
- Developing multivariate calibration models
- Planning and conducting experiments and analysing the results
- Interacting closely with our laboratory personnel
- Documenting your work and conclusions in reports
- Working with the company-wide software and data storage system
GrainSense offers a dynamic, international, and flexible work environment. We have a product that is unique and has potential.
The two main requirements are (a) experience in spectroscopic measurements, preferably near-infrared, and (b) fluency in MATLAB or another, similar, high-level language. The ideal candidate understands linear algebra and multivariate statistics deeply and has programmed his/her own scripts for analysing spectrometer performance and generating calibration models.
We welcome applications from both experienced and newly-starting scientists!
The educational background should ideally be at least a M.Sc. degree in physics, chemistry, or related field. You need to be willing to learn MATLAB, if necessary, and become comfortable writing your own analysis scripts in that language. You also need to have at least basic understanding of linear algebra and willingness to develop your skills in that area, if necessary.
Apply for this position if you have:
- Experience in spectroscopy, preferably near-infrared
- Experience with MATLAB, or alternatively with a similar programming language
- At least basic skills in linear algebra
- Basic understanding of programming and data structures
- At least a M.Sc. degree in (physical) chemistry, physics, or a similar field
- Interest towards experimental work
- Attention to detail
- Excellent documentation skills
- Good communications skills in English (both written and spoken)
Background in one of the following fields is advantageous: farming and agriculture in general, grain science, optics, photodetectors, low-noise analog electronics, signal processing.
Start: As soon as possible
Working hours: Full-time
Employment period: Permanent
Location: Teknologiantie 7B, 90590 Oulu, Finland
If you think this job is for you, then we look forward to talking. The first step is to send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, reference “Scientist NIR”. We will get back to you shortly and then hopefully invite you to visit us in Oulu.
PS: If you have kids, that would be another very good reason to join us. The Finnish education system is excellent and, in Oulu, is available also in English from Kindergarten to University.